The nRF52840 Dongle is a small, low-cost USB dongle that supports Bluetooth 5.3, Bluetooth mesh, Thread, ZigBee, 802.15.4, ANT and 2.4 GHz proprietary protocols. The Dongle is the perfect target hardware for use with nRF Connect for Desktop as it is low-cost but still support all the short range wireless standards used with Nordic devices.
The dongle has been designed to be used as a wireless HW device together with nRF Connect for Desktop. For other use cases please do note that there is no debug support on the Dongle, only support for programming the device and communicating through USB.
It is supported by most of the nRF Connect for Desktop apps and will automatically be programmed if needed. In addition custom applications can be compiled and downloaded to the Dongle. It has a user programmable RGB LED, a green LED, a user programmable button as well as 15 GPIO accessible from castellated solder points along the edge. Example applications are available in the nRF5 SDK under the board name PCA10059.
The nRF52840 Dongle is supported by nRF Connect for Desktop as well as programming through nRFUtil.
- Bluetooth 5.2 ready multiprotocol radio
- 2 Mbps
- Long Range
- Advertising Extensions
- Channel Selection Algorithm #2 (CSA #2)
- IEEE 802.15.4 radio support
- Arm Cortex-M4 with floating point support
- DSP instruction set
- ARM CryptoCell CC310 cryptographic accelerator
- 15 GPIO available via edge castellation
- USB interface direct to nRF52840 SoC
- Integrated 2.4 GHz PCB antenna
- 1 user-programmable button
- 1 user-programmable RGB LED
- 1 user-programmable LED
- 1.7-5.5 V operation from USB or external