The EiBotBoard ('EBB') is a USB-based dual stepper motor controller board that is useful for many general purpose robotics applications. Originally designed for the EggBot project, it is the 'brain' of all current models of the EggBot, but also of the AxiDraw and WaterColorBot as well.
The EBB was designed by Brian Schmalz of Schmalz Haus LLC. It is an open source (in both hardware and software), PIC18F46J50-based motor controller board. Standard features include two Allegro A4983 16X microstepping motor drivers for bipolar steppers. It also has a separate onboard regulator to power up to two hobby servo motors. It is 2.2 x 2.2 inches square (5.6 x 5.6 cm).
We are currently shipping version 2.7 of the EBB, which features several improvements for reliability. Version 2.7 uses a standard USB micro connector and has a switch that by default turns off power to the pen-lift servo motor after one minute of inactivity. You can change the timeout duration or disable this feature using the serial command protocol.
- Motor driver ICs: Two Allegro A4983
- Stepper motor type: Bipolar (2)
- Step size: Full, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16
- Motor connectors: Screw terminal
- USB jack type: Micro-B
- Power connector: Barrel Jack, 2.1 x 5.5 mm, center positive
- Voltage input range: 9-25 V DC
- Output current adjustment: 46 mA to 1.25 A per phase