From basics to flows for sensors, automation, motors, MQTT, and cloud services
This book is a learning guide and a reference. Use it to learn Node-RED, Raspberry Pi Pico W, and MicroPython, and add these state-of-the-art tools to your technology toolkit. It will introduce you to virtual machines, Docker, and MySQL in support of IoT projects based on Node-RED and the Raspberry Pi Pico W.
This book combines several elements into a platform that powers the development of modern Internet of Things applications. These elements are a flow-based server, a WiFi-enabled microcontroller, a high-level programming language, and a deployment technology. Combining these elements gives you the tools you need to create automation systems at any scale. From home automation to industrial automation, this book will help you get started.
Node-RED is an open-source flow-based development tool that makes it easy to wire together devices, APIs, and online services. Drag and drop nodes to create a flowchart that turns on your lights at sunset or sends you an email when a sensor detects movement. Raspberry Pi Pico W is a version of the Raspberry Pi Pico with added 802.11n Wi-Fi capability. It is an ideal device for physical computing tasks and an excellent match to the Node-RED.
Quick book facts
- Project-based learning approach.
- Assumes no prior knowledge of flow-based programming tools.
- Learn to use essential infrastructure tools in your projects, such as virtual machines, Docker, MySQL and useful web APIs such as Google Sheets and OpenWeatherMap.
- Dozens of mini-projects supported by photographs, wiring schematics, and source code. Get these from the book GitHub repository.
- Step-by-step instructions on everything.
- All experiments are based on the Raspberry Pi Pico W. A Wi-Fi network is required for all projects.
- Hardware (including the Raspberry Pi Pico W) is available as a kit.